- Run filtration pump and jet pumps continuously. If functioning properly, your freeze guard should run the pump automatically until temperatures rise above freezing.
- Maintain proper pool water level at all times (at the middle of the tile). If the water level drops too low, the pump will draw in air through the skimmers which increases the risk of equipment freeze damage.
- NEVER backwash during extremely cold conditions. Filter pressure gauges can freeze, resulting in inaccurate readings.
- DO NOT use heater during extreme cold unless it has been constantly running prior to the drop in temperature.
- Adjust pool and spa jets upwards to reduce surface freezing.
Power failure procedures during freezing weather
- Turn off circuit breakers to all pool equipment.
- Open the filter air bleed valve. If it is frozen, pour warm water over it to dislodge the ice.
- Drain the pumps by removing all drain plugs from the bottom of the pump. Place the plugs in the pump basket and loosely replace the lid.
- Remove the winterizing plugs and/or open drain valves on the heater and place them in the pump basket.
- Remove drain plug for the filter.
- Remove the chlorinator and lid.
- To prevent ice from forming in the skimmer, place a one liter plastic bottle half filled with anti-freeze in each skimmer. This will help take up any freeze expansion in the skimmers.
- Any pipes that cannot be drained should be protected with electrical heat strips available at local hardware stores.
- Cover electronic ignition heaters with a blanket for insulation. UNCOVER HEATER PRIOR TO USE.
Freeze damage and resulting repairs are NOT covered under standard homeowner’s policies, or builder’s & manufacturer’s warranties. Proper winterization of pumps, filter, pipes, valves and heaters can help protect your investment.
Procedures during freezing weather
- Run all filtration, spa booster and fountain pumps continuously during freezing temperatures.
- Drain backwash line by opening faucet of sight glass if an anti-siphon valve is not present.
- Keep skimmer and pump baskets clean.
- Disconnect and drain all fill and slide lines. Be sure to blow out these lines to remove water.
- Maintain proper water level.
- Never backwash during freezing weather.
- Store your test kit away from freezing conditions.
- Remove and store all pool accessories in a clean, dry area.